Monday, May 21, 2012

My Entry in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival: A Veggie Fruitalicious Mini Quilt


Amy's Creative Side is hosting the Bloggers' Quilt Festival and this is my quilt entry and it's story... 

I'm a member of an online group that meets yearly for a quilt retreat in Indiana.  This year I couldn't travel to be there, but I still wanted to play along in the mini quilt challenge.  

The only parameters:  
1.  measure less than  20" x 20" size
2.  it had to be quilted in some form or fashion
3.  the material had to be quilt shop quality.  
4.  embellish it, do embroidery, use wool, etc.  

So I set out to accomplish this challenge by first seeking inspiration online...my inspiration came when I found this free pattern for "Fruit Slice" at Anthology Fabrics.  

Then it was just a matter of going through my fabric stash to discover some orphan blocks and strips I had cut for another project a couple years back.  

And so the creative process began and ended in the fruition of this mini quilt...HA!

 
From my stash: Farmer's Market by RJR Fabrics (2008) & Farmer John's Marketplace by Paintbrush Studios
One of several settings I auditioned, eventually eliminating the lime green HSTs...however I didn't totally eliminate all of the pinwheel blocks which I now have a new love/hate relationship with!

Cherries for the back proved to be a delicious choice!
  I added a white border of Kona cotton to make the jelly bean binding pop!  

And everything would have been all hunky-dory except...
So what do you suppose happened here??? 


















Yep, I made my binding too narrow and I didn't have enough width to fold it over to the back! 


So a brilliant solution occurred to me after doing a google search of quilt bindings and I got inspired with the idea to finish my mini quilt with ribbon!  
You can see my progression in the photos...hopefully it's self-explanatory!


 
The finished size was 18" x 13" and it only took me about 5 weeks working off and on with it.  And every aspect came from my stash...something that made my husband happy! 

Oh, and I decided to keep my mini quilt instead of sending it to Indiana for exchange at the retreat... 
The overall finish using the ribbon, caused the mini quilt to not lay flat, but besides that, I am really pleased with the outcome and gained some improvisational experience...
and my very own mini quilt!


This is my post for my entry in the
please visit and enjoy the quilt show,
leave comments for a chance to win in the giveaways,
vote for your favorites...also, thank you in advance for voting for me!!!

7 comments:

Janine said...

This fruity quilt is fab and the ribbon a great idea :)

CitricSugar said...

Very cute - it made me very hungry!

Kate Brown said...

Really cute!

Lonci said...

Very spectacular, i love this:))

Quilt+Bitch said...

Yummy, it looks so good to eat.

Julie Fukuda said...

I love that fruit and vegetable fabric and have already made three tablecloths and three or four table runners using it. I don't often buy fabrics ... have enough stash of leftovers for two lifetimes...but those prints are hard to pass up and they keep coming up with new ones from several makers.

ANudge said...

Nice save on that binding. That is one cute and cheerful mini. Thanks for sharing.